|Contents||Top · 0-9 · A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
Similar in characteristics to the Cobitidae family of loaches if crossed with Catfish, these are distributed throughout Eurasia and belong to the family Balitoridae. There is a large number of fish in this family, around 600 known species, most of which occur in cool and fast-flowing streams.
We have also included the Nemacheilidae family in this category as many of these fish were previously listed in the Balitoridae family under the "Nemacheilinae" sub-family but have since been upgraded to their own family.
The vast majority are freshwater and the most well known and recognisable is the Hillstream Loach, they are often mis-labelled in pet shops as "Butterfly Plecos", they are not at all related to the Pleco!
- Latin names are listed below, for common names click here.
Pages in category "River Loaches"
The following 37 pages are in this category, out of 37 total.(previous page) (next page)
Media in category "River Loaches"
The following 14 files are in this category, out of 14 total.(previous page) (next page)
- Aborichthys elongatus1.jpg 113 KB
- Acanthocobitis botia.jpg 58 KB
- Batikloachjayjk.jpg 68 KB
- Hillstreamloach a.jpg 33 KB
- Lefua costata83472.jpg 30 KB
- Schistura notostigma.jpg 34 KB
- Sinogastromyzon wui.jpg 43 KB